Sunday, February 9, 2020

The Dangers of Human Trafficking


What I’ve encountered in my time as a traveller in a very serious concern for my well-being from other people. Particularly from my own family, and more specifically from my mother. I’ve been all around Asia and Europe, and in the beginning (before I got married) it was a big concern that I could be kidnapped. Now, I’m a very cautious and careful person. I don’t drink, I don’t generally go out and party at night. But I have travelled alone. My mother may have worried so much because of watching so many movies, but when researching on the web, it is possible to find examples of young girls like me who have been kidnapped and forced to live a very brutal life, or even end up dead. Now that I’m married, my mother has her huge weight of worry lifted off her shoulders, as she can see I’m taken care of. Still, it is unfortunate that some unsuspecting girls get in to some pretty bad situations.
          It seems that human trafficking has existed almost forever. In much of recorded history, from the ancient Vedas of India, to the Bible, to the writing of the English poet Lord Byron, human trafficking has been a topic that has been greatly touched upon. In earlier days, human trafficking was called slavery. Now that slavery has been legally abolished in much of the world, the term human trafficking has been used to describe the concept of modern-day slavery.
            Modern day slaves are existing in almost every country in the world. They are involuntary captive workers, forced against their will to work or live in whatever kind of inhumane conditions their captors may put them in. Humans are bought and sold on black markets, without any free will. Previously, these markets were not underground, they were in plain sight. Victims are often kidnapped, and can be any age, gender or race, though, the majority of victims are women and girls (and sometimes boys) who are sold in to sexual slavery.
            It is easy to find information about human trafficking on the internet. Organizations like the UN (United Nations) and the WHO (World Health Organization) have written various extensive documents and articles on human trafficking. They easily explain and outline the topic for all to understand. They also mention what their own organizations are doing about human trafficking, and they explain how to identity someone who is being trafficked.
            If you see someone who you think is being trafficked, please call the police, or one of the hotlines provided by various organizations online. It’s a very important issue which is affecting numerous lives all around the world. Human trafficking is no joke. It’s a very serious issue which needs to be stopped.

1 comment:

  1. This is a super important subject and it's awesome that you are bringing attention to it. Your blog is very well written and I enjoy reading it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete